The FIRST 3D Printing Award (3DPA) recognizes the creative use of 3D printing to provide innovative design solutions, resolve manufacturing challenges, enhance marketing solutions, and engage in community outreach. Sponsored by America Makes and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), this award seeks to motivate teams to explore applications of 3D Printing that directly support the FIRST mission of inspiring young people to be science and technology leaders and to the FIRST vision of transforming the culture by creating a world where science and technology are celebrated.
The 3DPA competition is open to all FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) teams for the 2014 season. To be eligible, teams must have a functional (not cosmetic) 3D Printed part that is intended for use on their competition robot. Submissions can be made starting on Friday, January 31, 2014 at 12pm ET and will conclude on Friday, March 14, 2014 at 12pm ET.
The 3DPA Team winner will be announced at the FIRST Championship and presented with an award sponsored by America Makes and ORNL.
America Makes and ORNL will provide transportation and hotel cost for one team representative and a chaperone to receive the award at the Championship Event (if the team is not already attending the Championship).
Applicants are required to submit the follow by March 14, 2014 at 12PM ET:
- 3DPA Proposal (email submission in MS WORD Format)
- Physical 3D Printed Part (mail)
Teams are required to use the template document (3DPA Template) for creation of their 3DPA Proposal submission. Proposals should be electronically submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teams are required to mail a physical copy of their 3D Printed part to:
Attention: America Makes 3DPA (Team #)
236 W. Boardman St.
Youngstown, OH 44503
Physical part must be received at America Makes by March 14, 2014. Teams are required to mail at least one physical copy of the proposed part fabricated by 3D printing. Additional parts that demonstrate interior geometry details critical to the parts design, fabrication, and function are welcome to be submitted in addition to the required fully fabricated part.
The winner of the FIRST 3D Printing Award, sponsored by America Makes and ORNL, will be announced at the 2014 FIRST Championship.
Submissions for the FIRST 3DPA will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Innovation of 3D Printed part (40%)
- Physical part should be submitted for evaluation
- 3D Printing Design Rules & Knowledge Base Enhancement (20%)
- Design rule usage
- Self-supporting angle rules
- Internal fill style optimized for function
- Build orientation decisions
- Software used to evaluate part designs requirements
- Design rule creation
- Document new design rules you captured during your design and build of parts
- Knowledge Base Enhancement
- Identify models and sources for 3D Printing optimized parts your team used
- Identify the 3D Printed models your team created?
- How many did you make available to other teams and how did you make them available?
- Analysis methods or tools used to determine part functional requirements
- Identify any online contributions you made to blogs, YouTube, model libraries, websites
- Design rule usage
- 3D Printing Mentoring (20%)
- Identify mentoring your team received regarding the use of 3D Printing
- Identify mentoring your team provided regarding the use of 3D Printing
- Community Outreach (10%)
- Document 3D Printing demonstrations provided to schools, clubs, and sponsors.
- Use of 3D Printing for Marketing (10%)
- Document how 3D Printing was used for marketing applications.
Additional documentation & videos
Example of 3D CAD model libraries