Independence, Kentucky – The Powder Coating Institute (PCI)’s 2019 PCI Scholarship Program is now open and accepting applications. Designed to award students studying in areas that advance powder coating technologies, the program includes the PCI General Scholarship, and three corporate member-sponsored scholarships: PCI/Axalta Scholarship, PCI/Gema Scholarship and the PCI/Nordson Ken Kreeger Scholarship.
To qualify, a candidate must:
- Be enrolled in chemistry, polymer science, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, corrosion engineering, manufacturing technologies or similar technical disciplines, as well as sales/marketing and business management. The area of study must be useful for a career in the powder coating industry.
- Be enrolled in an accredited two- or four-year technical school, four-year university, or graduate program that offers degrees that can service the powder coating industry.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or above.
- Complete a PCI Scholarship application and attach the following required documents with the application by the deadline:
- Completed application
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member or advisor
- Birth certificate or green card showing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
Special consideration will be given to applicants that demonstrate an interest or previous experience in powder coatings.
Candidates must complete the online application and submit supporting documents by March 15, 2019. Interested applicants should go to https://www.powdercoating.org/page/Scholarship to submit the required information. Scholarship winners will be notified in May and will be asked to provide one brief follow-up summary of educational experiences during the 2019-2020 academic year.
The PCI Scholarship Subcommittee reviews the applications and awards scholarships based on the following set of criteria, established and approved by the PCI Board of Directors:
- Specific studies and projects related to powder coatings
- Future goals & career objectives
- Unique qualifications/goals/aspirations
- Letter of recommendation
- Grade point average
Representatives from Axalta Coating Systems, Gema USA, and Nordson Corp. will be a part of the selection process for each of their respective scholarships. Scholarships will be awarded in April and presented at PCI’s Annual Meeting in June at the Sonesta Resort in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
We are truly excited that each year in the number of applicants considered for our scholarship program increases, says PCI Executive Director Trena Benson. “Again, we are thrilled to offer these scholarships for 2019 to help support students who are interested in building a career path in our industry.”
To see previous scholarship award winners and learn more about the program, visit our website.