Rollomatic’s 5-axis pinch/peel grinder
Rollomatic, the original inventor of pinch/peel grinding, maintains its global leadership position by spotlighting a new model within its line-up of grinding machines. The ShapeSmart NP50 has been enhanced with new features and upgrades. The patented option for pinch grinding non-round parts has been improved and now offers higher accuracy and speed. The non-round process includes full pinch/peel grinding which ensures extremely high tolerances, form accuracy, and the lowest TIR achievable. This is particularly important for exceptionally thin and long parts. Oblong punches, form punches, squares out of center, corner radii, and any other shape can be produced with this method. The NP50 is designed and dedicated for cylindrical grinding of carbide, high-speed steel, and stainless-steel components with emphasis on highest achievable surface finish and concentricity.
Pinch grinding offers highest concentricity on long and thin parts. The rough and finish grinding are performed in one pass. This innovative way to grind roughing and finishing simultaneously eliminates a separate process and reduces cycle time. The machine uses two different grinding wheels running on separate spindles and positioned on independently controlled CNC linear slides.
ShapeSmart NP50 highlights
- Grinds carbide, ceramics, tool steel, stainless steel and more
- Positioning camera for grinding coolant slots in blanks with coolant through-holes with parts flipper
- Roughing spindle rapid change-over from 0° - 10° - 90°
- Roughing and finishing spindle direct drive, both 20 hp
- Direct-drive workhead for increased accuracy and even better finish
- Option for grinding extra-long parts, for a total grinding lengths of 16" and blank length of 19"
- Marposs in-process gaging and Renishaw pre-probing system
- Form grinding of cutting tools blanks for the industrial, medical, and dental markets
- Production grinding of precision punches, including non-round
- Production grinding of die & mold components
- Production grinding of parts for the injection molding industry