Mundelein, Illinois - Rollomatic maintains its global leadership position in laser cutting diamond tooling by announcing a number of options and capabilities for the LaserSmart machine. This machine produces the sharpest corner radius in the PCD industry with a maximum radius on the cutting edge below 1 micron. In addition, a defined radius of 3, 6 and 9 microns can also be produced consistently. In addition, tools with HSK63 shanks can now also be accommodated on this machine.
Rollomatic will showcase this new LaserSmart laser cutting/ablation machine in full cutting mode during the IMTS. The strategy for this machine is to offer a more cost-effective way and higher quality in the production of high performance PCD polycrystalline diamond, cBN cubic boron nitride. and CVD chemical vapor deposited cutting tools which traditionally require to be produced by a double process of spark erosion and polish grinding.
- Fine-laser cutting achieves a superfine cutting edge with a surface finish that is unachievable by grinding/EDM
- Conventional grinding with diamond wheels will invariably pull out an entire PCD crystals, while laser cutting
will slice through the crystal and leave a portion of the crystal in the matrix, thus proving a super-sharp cutting edge, unattainable by EDM, EDG (electro-discharge) or grinding
- Linear technology on linear and rotary axes provides highly accurate trajectories for the complex cutting paths
- Continuous testing over the last 4 years have shown that sharper cutting edges and superior surface quality on PCD tools deliver longer tool life and higher feed rates during machining
- Laser ablation allows the freedom to optimize tool geometries
- Manufacturing chip form geometries in PCD is easily performed by the LaserSmart using the ablation process
Source: Rollomatic Inc.